Want to Build a Mobile Game – Here is Where to Start
The mobile gaming industry is getting more and more popular, which is why so many young developers and entrepreneurs are trying to get into this business. However, building a mobile game is a complex process where it is hard to be successful if you don’t know all the essentials.
Since there are many game developers, coming up with a catchy well-developed game that is going to become popular is hard. This doesn’t mean that is impossible, which is why in today’s article, we will highlight all the basic things you need to do to build a mobile game.
1. Make a Plan
Every great idea starts with a plan. Every season in NBA teams have to plan their budget and what will be their priorities in the transfer market. Choosing draft picks, signing free agents and seeking for underdog players who can one day figure on the list of the best undrafted NBA players by BetAmerica.
Planning is essential in sports and in all other aspects of life, including building a game. Lack of planning can break your game, and it will all go down to waste.
You must do thorough research on the type of game you want to develop and make sure that you are on the right path to success.
You should include many questions in your plan, like whether it is going to be a 2D or 3D, is it a puzzle game? Is it a side scroller or some type of racer?
Highlighting all the things that are connected to the developing process will make your job much easier in the future.
2. Choose Your Software
Now since you have your developing plan and idea in your back pocket, it is time to put that into practice. Your first priority is finding the best software to develop your game. There are many software options available on the market, and all of them are ranked from beginner-friendly to professional.
- - Unity – This is the most commonly used software among game developers. It is completely free to use, and it has very high graphic capabilities. However, it requires a higher level of expertise in order to develop a game.
- - UDK Powered by Unreal Engine – This is a good software just because it comes with many pre-made basic projects that you can have fun with and experiment with to get your desired final result.
- - GameSalad – This software is the best one for beginners since it doesn’t require any coding knowledge. It is a drag-and-drop creator that can still produce interesting mobile games.
3. Learn Programming Language
It doesn’t matter if you choose software that doesn’t require any coding knowledge. You still need a good base in order to produce a high-quality game. A great place to start is C#, an object-oriented programming language that is the simplest of the bunch and relatively easy to grasp.
This is also a commonly used language for programming a game on Unity.
4. Start Building Your Project
After you’ve passed all the things mentioned above, it is time to put everything into action. If you are a beginner, try to start with a simple game. There is no point in trying something extremely difficult.
It is much smarter to start slow and build simple games and challenge yourself with every other game. You’ll be amazed at how much you’ll learn in the process, and then progress on more complex games.
The game developing process starts with basic mechanics and rules of play. After that, you should implement your graphics and test the game.
5. Implementing Graphics
When it comes to implementing graphics, you have two choices:
- - Create the art in Photoshop (for 2D graphics) or 3ds Max, or Maya (for 3D graphics)
- - Outsource your graphics from a different designer. There are plenty of websites that offer such services that can be useful if you don’t have any design knowledge.
6. Release Your Game
One of the common mistakes usually made by game developers is aiming for perfection and avoid releasing it. Since it is your first game, it is better to get it out of the door quickly, even if it has some minor flaws, rather than keeping it on your PC and never publish it.
If you are serious about making money with games, you should see how the game performs and then create a marketing budget.